Wednesday, October 2, 2013

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SUMMER

 

I was just sitting here, writing a post for June and now that whole summer has past and the weather is changing in Bishop again.

And what a difference a couple of months make.

Well, the Old Bear and I are still trying to get adjusted to this “retirement” thing. Especially now that I am not working at all myself, we find it difficult to be on schedule with anything, other than hair appointments.

Before we had to get things done in a timely manner because of kids and work.  But now… OH MY!!!

Thinking about it, I find it rather interesting, that we are probably busier now than we have been in the past, as far as travelling and being busy with projects.  But there are no deadlines, or starting times, so things are easily put off.

It was a wonderful summer, and in the next few posts I want to bring you all up on my projects.

But the biggest, most wonderful news that we received this summer, is that our baby girl is pregnant with our FIRST grandbaby. Which brings up the question…..how many baby quilts does a baby need?

Let’s do some more blocks from the Patches of Spring pattern:

Second block:  Long Walks

228

Even though this block is in the Patches of Spring pattern, I think it really fits for any season.  In S[ring, when the air is crisp and the leaves are showing up everywhere, there is a fresh smell in the air.  In the Summer, before it gets too hot and everything is in bloom. In the Fall, when the breeze is cool and the ground is covered in leaves. And in the Winter, when you have to dress warm because the air is brisk and you can enjoy the smell of wood burning fireplaces.  I especially like the thought of the walks being slow and long.

Third Block:  Rubber Boots

_215

As a child I stepped in every puddle in defiance. I can hear my mama telling me “Don’t step in those puddles, you will catch a terrible cold”   Of course, once she turned her back, I splashed even harder…I can’t remember if I ever caught that “terrible cold”..probably selective memory.  Now as a adult, the rain still brings much pleasure, the sound and smell of it, the memories it conjures up.  And now in my older age, though I am probably more prone to getting that cold…..sometimes I still do it to remember her and her loving warning.

Fourth Block: Shine

230

It is good advice…..bloom and shine.  In no matter where we find our passion, whether it be quilting or writing, in woodworking or painting.  Wherever it may be, may we strive to bloom in it, excel in it and find pleasure it in…and then SHINE!!

NEW PROJECT: UNDERGROUND RAILROAD

I love Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day  (quiltinaday.com) books.  I enjoy her techniques and the pictures and instructions are so thorough, and include so many different ideas and sizes all figured out for you.  In this particular book she also includes lots of information about the Underground Railroad and its history. Although I have yet to make a full quilt in a day…

Because I couldn’t decide what size of blocks I wanted to do, I decided to do the 12” block in Civil War Reproductions, which seems appropriate. And then to pull some favorite fabrics our of my stash to make the 6” blocks.  Yea 6”, but there are so cute! 

DSCN3125001Bow Tie

001_04002_04Shoo-Fly

I think this type of picture shows the contrast in sizes between the two blocks better.

004_02Monkey Wrench

005_02The Wonderful Log Cabin block.

DSCN3255Underground Railroad

Enjoy the change of weather.

TTFN

sg-0

ABMP Logo2

No comments: